Thursday, November 20, 2008

i heart my job...


Challenges can definitely arise when you have to juggle your 9-5 with school. Being a full time student wasn't an option for me, and honestly, I'm fine with handling both responsibilities. But, when are you crossing the line? Is it fine for me to complete homework while at my desk? Can I submit a press release, that I created for work, to my teacher as a class assignment?

Despite these concerns, the work (for both commitments) must get done. My studies clearly benefit the USO, so they understand school commitments, especially if they aren't posing problems in my professional performance. My employer values higher education, and that makes the balance easier for me. Even though my direct supervisor doesn't quite get it (she made me travel on a Sat. when she knew about my class commitment), the USO appreciates my decision to learn, as its making them a stronger organization. They've made HR changes that include giving professional development credit for grad school classes and offering tuition reimbursement. These things make the task of work and school a little more bearable.

The stress of balancing won't last always, and the beginning really is the toughest part. May 2010 will be here before we know it.

-Patrice

No comments: