Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Nickel & Dime or Priceless?

Tupac expressed it best, "tryna make a dolla outta fifteen cents..."

Who knew his lyric would play such a dominant role in the fall of 2008 - years after his death. Yes, the enrollment into graduate school has literally raped my pockets, but the current economic climate isn't quite healing those wounds either. The crisis that we are facing in America has taken a toll on how I cope with financial obligations. I've come to a crossroads where I don't know where to go. Walk with me:

Tithes (at least 10% of income)
Rent - $900
Utilities - $200
Cell Phone - $110
Metro (Had not been considered as I relocated from a pedestrian city) - $160
Car Expenses (note, gas, and insurance) - $520
Food - friends and family's leftovers
MA in Public Communication - Priceless

Given any other profession (medicine, business, engineering), I'd be at peace with repaying my post-graduate loans. However, where is the peace in the non-profit world? If I saved every dime of my income for a year, I still would not be capable of offsetting my student debt incurred from graduate studies.

Nonetheless, the interim requires me to continue loving PB&J, tap water, cereal, vintage clothes from mom, natural hair styles, mini vacations to VA, and no consumption of cable TV or internet at home. I must admit, the value that I've witnessed thus far has been priceless - it's allowed greater focus on school and more time for meditation. Exactly what I need at this ambiguous crossroads.

imani

1 comment:

mil1265 said...

Girl...I'm feeling your pain. And I'm going to be inviting you over for dinner really soon.