Monday, November 3, 2008

Balancing the blame: Social life and grad school

Social life? Ha! What's that? To be fair, though, I have to admit I didn't have much of one even before I started grad school. Now that I have even less time to come out of my bat cave to mingle or, God forbid—date, I'm comfortably and convincingly using grad school as a scapegoat for my suffering social life. When my friends and family (who are all out of town) ask me if I ever go out, I say I don’t have time because I work Monday-Friday, go to school every Saturday, and do housekeeping on Sunday. I say “comfortably” because honestly, I don't feel deprived or like I'm missing out on anything. I'm perfectly happy with my monotonous, routine-based life that consists of work, home, and school. I’m very busy with these three elements, but so are my cohorts. If some of them balance all of the above AND have a family to take care of every day, then I can most definitely find the time to come out of my hermit shell and reacquaint myself with society. Enrolling in grad school was a step toward digging myself out of this socially-deprived coma I’ve been in since returning from Iraq the second time. Now I have to find the courage to shift the blame back to where it belongs: me. But that's the easy part! Once I’ve accepted the blame, I have to work on the hardest part of it all: actually DOING something about it.
-Misha-

No comments: