Friday, November 7, 2008

"Make It Work"

balance - the ability to carefully weigh two or more lifestyles.

it exists. i live it. i embrace it. in fact, right at this very moment, i'm pondering on how my life would unfold without a very important friend (VIF) who's celebrating perhaps the most insignificant birthday of her life - twenty something - right now. longing for a glass of wine, italian aromas, and family style atmosphere, i instead sit here in pursuit of a lifelong dream - my MA. but Tim Gunn has taught me how to, "Make it work."

since september, life has been unpredictable: new job, new school, new home, but old friends. it's been phenomenal and entering back in the metropolitan area with a whole new attitude has indeed sparked some self awareness. there was a time when "social life" meant football games, parties, amusement parks, and drinking. but throughout my transformation, i am pleased to know that social life is not an escape route, but rather purposeful interaction. so on those off days (which i force myself to carve out), i may gather with friends or family around an intimate table in a cozy setting, sip pumpkin chai, and discuss the victory of an incredible man (obama)- the opportune time to share what i've learned and how it applies to our casual conversation. that's my new social life.

there's this great book that i think clearly defines what to do when in doubt of socializing, "Eat,drink, and be drunk in love." it's the book of Song of Songs (The Bible). in essence, the marriage of the two - social life and grad school - has stimulated my mind and elevated my relationships. what's not to love about the balance of grad school and social life. they're inseparable.

Speak soon; off to my reservations.

-fifty one

No comments: